Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Closet Confessional

Forgive me, Closet Shoppers, for I have sinned...

In an effort to regain your trust and earn your followship I have come to you bearing my soul. 

The weekend after I posted my first blog about the 30 day closet diet, I relapsed. I went and spent money I didn't have on clothes that meant nothing to me. I was ashamed and embarrassed about my financial situation (broke and unemployed with bills I needed to pay but couldn't) and thought I had something to prove by impulse buying. Well it backfired.

I spent about a week sleeping on the sofa because I could not face the evidence of my desperation: sitting in my closet, tags still attached, folded in an orange Banana Republic "SALE" bag. I could not face faking a blog post about success or divulging a secret that in the end made me feel worthless.



Looking back on it, I didn't give myself or you, CS, a chance to see this is part of the process. Closet shopping isn't just appreciation for what you have but also recognition of who you are. The closet is an introspective lens into who you are, how you showcase that individuality to the rest of the world. 

Nowadays, I have a good job and my finances are moving out of the ICU ward. I decided to revisit the 30 day Closet Diet and I have 3 more days to go. I finally decided to give my closet the respect it deserves. And you know what? I have gotten compliments on 90% of the outfits I have put together.

In the end it doesn't matter what is in your closet or what you have in your wallet to fill it. All a girl ever needs is her CONFIDENCE.

Jey


Articles worth reading!!!

Buyer's Remorse

http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing/buyers-remorse-00000000055957/index.html

Buying Diet?
http://www.oprah.com/money/How-to-Shop-Smarter-and-Buy-Only-What-You-Need-Martha-Beck

Real-Life Shopaholic
http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/articles/living/shopping-addiction?click=main_sr

                                                             

1 comment:

  1. awesome j!! but you forgot that all you need is confidence, the right lip color, and the perfect shoe!!

    ReplyDelete